Welcome to our musings as we travel Asia, Australia and America with our 5 year old daughter for the next seven months.
The First Step
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step..." (Lao Tzu)
Sunday, January 30, 2011
Star Light, Star Bright
I believe we left off at the fish spa in the streets of Bangkok. Two thousand toothless honeyfish nibbling away as Mark and Bella sit in the tank for a 15 minute spa, resulting in silky smooth legs for the upcoming train ride. Before heading to the train station, we find some solitude in the quiet wat that divides hectic Khao San Road and the busy Chao Praya River. Bella knows the secret entrance and leads us to the vase of lotus flowers. She chooses a lovely pink blossom, lights the incense and sends her blessings. Her first whispers are to her good friends back home...Anya, Madeleine, Noelle. We then hail a taxi to Hau lampong Railway Station and to Bella's delight the taxi is pink. The station is busy with travellers and locals with their backpacks and goods. The King looks down upon us from the golden framed photo between the Arrivals and Departure boards. We find a place to rest among the aisles of red seats. Bella finds a little Thai friend to pass the hour. Together they play Pollies on the tile floor and giggle as Zhu Zhu zooms between the seats. Mark checks our departure gate and bumps into a former Grade 6 student from Byng Elementary, now in his twenties. "Mr Nelstrop!" exclaims Kyle, "Is that you Kyle?" replies Mark in disbelief. They have a brief conversation before Kyle boards the train to Chaing Mai with some buddies. In the hustle and bustle of activity, a whistle blows. Everyone stops in their step and stands to salute their King. The national anthem plays and a chorus of local voices join the taped recording. The whistle sounds again and everyone resumes their step. Life continues on as normal at Hua lampong station. It is now time to proceed to Gate 10 to board our train to Surit Thani. We are on a 2nd class sleeper with fan. Upon boarding car No.9, we realized that we were spoiled by last night's comforts. Mark notices the wafts of urine and the coakroach. I noted that it's going to be a long 14 hour journey as Bella and I will be sharing the not so spacious top bunk. Bella is intrigued with the sleeping arrangements and is keen to climb the ladder to her overnight accomodation. She points out the number 5 embroidered into her pea green curtain. Logically, it is reserved it for 5 year olds. The air is warm and musky. Mark is nauseous. I smile as I am reminscence about our past adventures on local trains. Stopping at stations on the outskirts of the city, Bella notices the barefoot kids playing in the tracks. She wants to get out and give the girl her runners. Lessons learned on trains rides. We try a squat toilet in motion for her first time. She is curious about where the hole ends. Night falls and the train rattles on. Mark and I are exhausted and a tad grumpy. Bella, wide eyed, peers out the open window and proclaims, I see the first star! Star light, star bright, first star I see tonight...I wish for happy travels she announces to her friend in the sky. I then notice a beautiful sepia tone full moon rising outside our window. Indeed, star light, star bright...and how a 5 year old can change your perspective so quickly.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I can only imagine Uncle Mark's silky legs...
ReplyDeleteMadeleine and Noelle were thrilled to receive Bella's blessings all the way from Thailand. I giggled, remembering making the same journey to Krabi--arriving crabby in Krabi. Looks like you've settled in quite nicely though, and we are so impressed to read of your climbing adventures!
We send you all our love with huge hugs and kisses.
xoxo,
Linda, Al, Madeleine and Noelle