The First Step

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step..." (Lao Tzu)

In our case, it begins with a single skip...

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Through the Eyes of a Five Year Old Wanderer

June 14, 2011. We've been home for over a month now. Bella's back in school and loving it. Mark and I were not able to get on the TOC list as we had hoped. We're poor but happy, enjoying some quality 'us' time which we haven't for a long, long time.  We've been playing tennis, cleaning the house, riding our bikes and talking about what we've learned from our family travels ... along with dreaming about future adventures. This is the last post for my blog Travels with Bella. Bella will be turning six at the end of the month. The following post is part of my yearly letter to her.
Thank you for taking the time to read and sharing our adventures with us. 

The real voyage of discovery lies not in discovering new lands but in seeing with new eyes.
(Marcel Proust)

Dearest little chi,

In this year of five, your papa and I took you wandering to far away places. With time, the colours and details of our globetrotting adventures will most likely fade. This book is intended to remind you of why our family took a pause in our busy lives to travel. Together we collected experiences and captured moments which brought us so much closer together in lands so far away. May the blessings along our path this year continue to be bearings throughout your journey in life.

Thank you for showing us the world through the lens of a five year old. You made us don on glittery glasses to see a world filled with magic, play and possibilities. The wisdom of a five year old embraces each moment... a little zen master who understands what it means 'just to be'. There is no need to rush. When it is time to move forward, one must skip with joy in her steps. In your exploration there is an innocence that is so refreshing. There is a curiosity that begins with questions rather than needing answers. It is easy to see the goodness in strangers, to open your arms and invite them in. Our journey was indeed enlightened through the eyes of our five year old wanderer.

Along the way, we have taught one another invaluable life lessons. We worked as a team and navigated our way through new territory as a family. Together we solved problems and helped one another. The road of travel is not always easy. With backpacks on, we challenged ourselves to learn about the world and to take risks beyond our comfort zone. In doing so, we return with new insights about the world we live in and about ourselves. We have reminded ourselves that not all who wander all lost...


I wish you grand adventures, my love, whether they be in your own backyard or to distant lands.
 Mama Chi

Happy birthday my little lotus blossom.  


May you always...


...take time to pause





...find your strength





...rise above




...be mindful in your steps





...celebrate the princess within




...sense your balance




...smell the flowers




...bask in sweet light



...make new friends




... see opportunities in every grain of sand




...follow the path to waterfalls



...walk in the woods



...rejoice in ceremonies



...meditate



...have a twinkle of mischief



...respect your elders


...learn about different cultures



...send blessings into the world



...have a village of loving hands



...be enchanted



...paddle your own boat


...run carefree



...practice your skills


...believe in magic




...be in awe





...delight in natural wonders



...love and be loved



...share your journey



...see outside the box






...find your own rhythm






...dance with abandon





...have a skip in your steps



...care for battered wings




...have eyes wide for wonder



...keep your family close





...be an intrepid explorer

I watch as my little girl returns from her journey with confidence in her steps and a knowing that there is a bigger world out there. In our wanderings, we confirm truths on how we want to live our lives. I truly believe that the blessings on this journey have gently planted themselves into your heart.
Be patient. Be kind. Be gentle.
I look forward to watching you bloom on your path.
blessings, 
Mama Chi
June 2011

Say not, "I have found the truth," but rather, ”I have found a truth.”
Say not, "I have found the path of the soul."  Say rather, "I have met the soul walking upon my path."
For the soul walks upon all paths...
The soul unfolds itself, like a lotus of countless petals.
Kahlil Gibran 

1 comment:

  1. Just love this! I didn't realize you are back from your travels. I now have an entire blog to read. I know I will be in awe. The words and photos from this final post are spectacular!

    ReplyDelete