The First Step

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step..." (Lao Tzu)

In our case, it begins with a single skip...

Friday, December 17, 2010

The First Skip


As Lao Tzu put it, " A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step "....in our case, it begins with a single skip. Five year olds, as many of you know, do not merely step through life. They bound with enthusiasm, joy and curiousity in their explorations. Such is the case with Bella. In fact, her first reaction to our world adventure was to skip away to her friend Anya's house and have Jana take care of her for the next seven months. Yes, it was a tempting proposition for mama and papa, to say the least. After putting some stickers on the map and reading about fun far away places, she started to show some interest. Last week, Bella and I decided to do a 'mock' trip around town. We don on our backpacks and headed out into the wilds of Vancouver. We took public transit, looked at maps and learned that the mountains were north. We followed directions and read street signs that led us to a play date at Kit's house near Main Street. There we enjoyed a delightful afternoon with Kit and Nancy in their wonderful pad. We ventured back on the Canada Line, fully loaded with our gear and successfully met Papa at the Carousel in the mall. Yes, mission accomplished! 
don't forget Barbie
making gingerbread cookies
backpacking practice


carousel cruising
  




9 comments:

  1. We love you, our dear friends, and can't wait to watch your adventures unfold. May you have unforgettable days that enrich your lives for always. We will be here, cheering you on and looking forward to our eventual reunion.

    Much love,
    Linda, Al, Madeleine and Noelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms.Lau,Bella, and Mr.Lau I guess i hope you 3 have a wonderful trip. I guess I will miss you while Mrs.Ong is teaching me and the class and I will always remember the times you teached me and last years class and now this year and today is my birthday on the 27th od december wish you lots of luck on your trip and I enjoyed the pictures of Bella and when you went to make ginger bread house. Hope you have a safe journey! From 11 year old Jonalyn in the class of ........ Div.4

    ReplyDelete
  3. and have a safe new year around the world :) Jonalyn in Div. 4 and in the class

    ReplyDelete
  4. BomVoyage Ms.Lau!We are surely having a fun time with Ms.Ong teaching us and all of our class is in remembrance of Ms.Lau the Fantastic Teacher!

    -Stanford

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi have a good trip Arrive safe in Singapore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Anita, Mark and Bella!
    With happy, happy tears in my eyes I wish you all a fabulous journey. I am thinking of travels past and know that this one will be wonderful. Thank you so much for the phone call and for sharing this adventure with us!
    With much love,
    Janette and Dean
    ps ~ Bear Bear Jr. (BBJ) sends love and best wishes to the four 'stow aways!'

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anders and I are truly fascinated by your very thoughtful words in the blog. We are looking forward to keeping in touch with you through your adventurous journey as a family. We are so happy for you. Good luck and have a safe flight and trip! I hope you received your reading books and your own personal pointer Bella! Miss you guys already! Take care:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I miss you Isabella, I hope you are snuggling with your stuffs. I hope you are having fun like you hoped you would. Please eat your mom's licorice, and I have the same zuu zuu pet as you.
    Love dakota

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for inviting us to join your blog! The kids are so excited to see where Bella is! They have some wonderings which they are telling (rather shouting) to me as I madly type away. Here they are:
    1)Will you go the artic?
    2)Will you go to the Antarctic?
    3)Can you find out if santa is real?
    4)How long is 7 months in seconds? (this is from Spencer!)
    5)Will you buy us gifts ("Boys!" I say very shocked!!)

    We miss you alot guys but are so happy you are on this journey. Keep us updated


    Comment from Spencer: "Hope you have a wonderful trip" Love (and I stress the tone here) Spencer!!


    Boys are loving the new school-very good switch for all involved.

    Hugs: The Gibbs

    ReplyDelete